Located on the west bank of the Red River by the Alexander Docks
Winnipeg, MB .
This monument, located near the Alexander Docks, was erected in 1993. It depicts a stylized Scots thistle, the floral emblem of Scotland since ancient times. Learn the stories and names of the Selkirk Settlers. Located at what was once the site of Fort Douglas - a log fort erected by the settlers in 1815. Their history is told on a monument created in bronze, limestone and stainless steel. It is dedicated to Thomas Douglas, Fifth Earl of Selkirk, and marks the historical origins of Manitoba as a European settled territory.
Behind the monument is a plaque containing the text of a poem describing the departure of the Scottish settlers on their journal to Canada, a copy of an original in Scotland. This monument was unveiled by Rev. Hugh Wyllie, Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland on 19 June 1992. It commemorates the 175th anniversary of the arrival on the Red River of Thomas Douglas, Fifth Earl of Selkirk and his settlers. The first group arrived here in 1812.