That got me thinking about gift giving in general and I thought it would be fun (and useful) to put together a little gift guide that focuses on quintessential Winnipeg items and experiences. I know for me, it's harder and harder to get creative each year, but I think I've rounded up some pretty interesting ideas.
We'll start with my favourite subject--gifts for her.
1. Who wouldn't appreciate a day at the spa? Ten Spa, Riverstone and Urban Oasis all offer up their own special brand of relaxation with everything from a Turkish steam room to an aboriginal inspired experience to a therapeutic mineral bath. You really can't go wrong with a gift certificate and a little goodie bag of products for the lucky woman in your life.
2. On the flip side is the opposite of relaxation at Yoga Public where sweat and tears are the name of the game. Give the gift of action with a guest pass or monthly pass for the most devoted yogi in your life.
3. What woman doesn't remember reading Jane Eyre at some point in her life as she daydreamed about Mr. Rochester and the windy corridors of Thornfield Hall? Manitoba Theatre Centre brings the iconic novel to life this January. Pick up a pair of tickets and take her to a show.
4. Chocolate is the essence of the season and Winnipeg does it right. Head to Morden's for their classic melt-in-your-mouth Russian Mint or Chocolatier Constance Popp for her creative concoctions inspired by local ingredients.
5. Keep her tootsies warm with authentic, made in Manitoba mukluks. Teecka's Aboriginal Boutique at The Forks Market stocks stunning jewellery, clothing and crafts from the province's indigenous artists. When you've got that, head over to Johnston Terminal and the Hartmont Candle Company, where cedar-wick candles are made in store with enticing flavours like apple pumpkin strudel, grandma's kitchen, and vanilla voodoo.
6. Treat her to a weekend getaway at The Fort Garry Hotel for their yoga weekend packages, The Fairmont Winnipeg for a romance weekend complete with champagne and strawberries or Mariaggi's Theme Suites where luxury linens and hot tubs set the mood.
7. The gift shop at Oseredok Ukrainian Cultural Centre showcases stunning and one-of-a-kind works including paintings, ceramics and textiles to wow the cultural guru in your house.
8. St. Boniface is Winnipeg's quaint French quarter and is home to Bijou where all things sparkly come to roost. Pick out colourful gem stone necklaces and bracelets and watch her face really light up.
9. In January, the MTS Centre rocks out with P!nk... the Truth About Love Tour. Get some tickets, go for martinis before, make a night of it.
10. Keep it simple and give the gift of your time. Head to The Forks, buy a warm cup of hot chocolate and just walk hand in hand down the Rivertrail. You could argue it's the most romantic spot in the city.
Only in The Peg Chronicles the adventures of the peg family–Missus, Mister and Lil’ Peg as they discover everything there is to see and do in Winnipeg. Follow them at @tourismwpg on Twitter or visit them on Facebook. For even more info on Winnipeg, visit www.tourismwinnipeg.com.