It's a little tradition our friends south of the border like to indulge in. Come Thanksgiving, the turkey stuffed masses make their way to the stores, fighting down each other in the hopes of scoring a flat screen TV for $5. It's a tradition. It's a rite of passage. It's often a YouTube sensation.
It's the official start of the holiday shopping season.
Black Friday in Winnipeg has a few tricks up its sleeve as well, making it a perfect alternative to get a head start and get your list checked off before Dec 25. (I don't want to alarm you, but it's exactly one month until the big day.)
At Polo Park, they're starting the morning of November 29th off right, by opening their doors at 7 am (for the truly hardcore shoppers). The first 100 devotees through the doors will also be rewarded with a $10 gift card. They promise some of the most stellar deals of the year--stay tuned, we'll find out what we can during the day on Twitter and Facebook.
Over at Kildonan Place, they've got the spirit as well. Look out for:
- Throwaway Thursday: Donate gently used clothes/household goods to the Big Brother Big Sisters of Winnipeg’s “Big Smiles” Collection Crew on Thursday November 28, and get a voucher (redeemable on Friday, November 29) for “schwag” package containing a free $10 gift card, retailer coupons and other offers
- Early mall opening at 7 am on November 29
- Several retailers with exclusive offers from 7-10am
- Every hour between 7 and 11 am, there will be a different gift with purchase at guest services for people who show receipts of $40 or more
- Tons of different retailer offers/sales that will be posted at www.kildonanplace.com at 8pm on November 28
And of course, St. Vital Centre is on the action too, opening its doors at 8 am on Friday, with specials all day long.
So get to bed early--we have the added bonus of having celebrated Thanksgiving weeks ago, so you can be in tip top form come Friday!
Only in The Peg Chronicles the adventures of the peg family–Missus, Mister and Lil’ Peg as they discover everything there is to see and do in Winnipeg. Follow them at @tourismwpg on Twitter or visit them on Facebook. For even more info on Winnipeg, visit www.tourismwinnipeg.com.