This weekend, the best holiday of the year is taking place.
No, I'm not talking about changing your clocks (as thrilling as that is), I'm talking about the 2013 Central Canada Comic Con.
Here, superheroes rub elbows with the city's geekiest and most devoted, comic-book, graphic-novel, sci-fi, fantasy-loving crowd.
In honour of this special event, I thought it would be good to check out some other places in the city to get your 'geek' on.
- 1. Head to Raven Collectibles where games and characters and all the swag you could ever need for every hardcore gamer, line the walls of this shop's two locations.
- 2. Live your own real life sci fi adventure in the darkened corners of Lasertopia.
- 3. Every tech head worth his or her salt can drool at the latest offerings at the Apple Store inside Polo Park.
- 4. Turn down the lights and toss the ball at the pins with Cosmic Bowling at Academy Lanes.
- 5. Catch Ender's Game, Catching Fire or Thor at VIP Cinemas where you can enjoy a beverage (of the 18+ kind) with your onscreen action.
- 6. Get a little history with your geeking at the Winnipeg Railway Museum and Manitoba Electrical Museum.
- 7. Head to Toad Hall Toys and indulge in your inner board game lover (and, of course, that child that still lives inside).
- 8. Make your way to Rockabetty in Osborne Village for retro fashion finds and charm.
- 9. Take in some daredevil tricks at Adrenaline Adventures where you can move like a superhero for an afternoon.
- 10. And, of course, the event that started it all. Comic Con starts tomorrow at the Winnipeg Convention Centre, where stars from Star Trek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Sons of Anarchy are ready to meet and greet.
Only in The Peg Chronicles the adventures of the peg family–Missus, Mister and Lil’ Peg as they discover everything there is to see and do in Winnipeg. Follow them at @tourismwpg on Twitter or visit them on Facebook. For even more info on Winnipeg, visit www.tourismwinnipeg.com.