The mercury is rising and we are having a beautiful summer. Pools, patios and popsicles are the name of the game during these lazy days of summer... why do people call them lazy though? I feel like we're on the go more than ever trying to soak up every last bit of that glorious sunshine.
Of course, it is hot, hot, hot out there and with that comes the ubiquitous activity of trying to stay as cool as we can. Oh the irony.
So, with that in mind, here are eight ways to stay cool this summer:
- Head to Fun Mountain and take a splash down the waterslides. I don't think I really need to explain this one, do I? It's good for the kids, it's good for you--go do it.
- Hit one of several patios at The Forks or along Corydon Avenue and cool off with a frosty cocktail or other refreshing beverage. Alcohol is not mandatory, but it does make it more fun. (Don't tell my mom I said that.)
- When it's really hot, sometimes I like to partake in the gratuitous luxury of air conditioning... and movie theatres are awesome at pumping out sub zero temps. Head to VIP Cinemas for comfy seating, food and drink service and a movie-going experience that's a cut above the rest.
- Head to the Adventure Playground at Assiniboine Park or Variety Heritage Adventure Park at The Forks where a water fun zone complete with water wheels and sand is perfect for getting both soaking wet and Tide-commercial dirty.
- Speaking of air conditioning (were up there, remember?), you could also do a little shopping at Polo Park, Ikea or St. Vital Centre. Pick up a swimsuit or all the fixins to create the perfect backyard oasis.
- Ice cream. Obviously. The BDI, Sargent Sundae or one of numerous gelati spots along Corydon Avenue are just waiting to fill your belly with chocolate and calories.
- Numerous spray pads and wading pools around the city offer up pint-sized fun that will keep everyone cool. Central Park's was recently redone and is one of the city's best.
- Feel the spray of the water all over your body as you flip and jump and ride through the cable wakeboarding circuit at Adrenaline Adventures. Don't worry, they give lessons if you fall on the less than coordinated side of life.