This July 1, celebrate your way at a variety of locations across the city hosting activities and educational events for all ages:
The Forks reimagined - “New Day at The Forks”
Join in on a reflective, inclusive and fun day to celebrate “New Day at The Forks”.
- Oodena and The Gathering Space in Niizhozibean: Attend the 8 a.m. morning ceremony led by Elders Wandbi WAkita and Pahan Pte San Win.
- Historic Rail Bridge: Participate in tobacco tie workshops from 10 a.m.– 6p.m.
- Throughout the Forks: From 1 p.m.-5 p.m., visit four pop-up stages located throughout the grounds with family friendly and multicultural entertainment, along with hands-on activities, music, theatre and dance!
- CN Field and Stage: The perfect place to hang out with friends and enjoy food and drinks from Winnipeg’s finest food trucks (you can even bring your own picnic). This area will be available to visit until 7 p.m.
- The Forks National Historic Site: The Manitoba African Cup of Nations Soccer Tournament will be played all afternoon on July 1, along with traditional and contemporary Indigenous games.
- Free Tours: Learn more about the history of The Forks with a tour guided by Elder Barb Nepinak (2 p.m.) and a Target Zero Eco Tour (3 p.m.) with Green Kids. Meet at Travel Manitoba for all tours!
- You can also explore The Forks by listening to a guided tour through your smartphone. Complete any tour at any time throughout the day. Learn more here.
Canada Day at the Children’s Museum (45 Forks Market Road)
- Visit the museum from 11 a.m.– 3 p.m. to create colourful crafty sparklers! All ages are welcome.
- Admission: $12, tickets available at the door.
Canada Day Run 2022
- From now until July 1, choose your mode of activity (walk, run or cycle) and explore sites and locations in Winnipeg, starting on the corner of Waterfront Dr & Pioneer Ave. The race is also offered virtually—tune in from your treadmill to celebrate July 1!
“Canada Day Celebration” at Assiniboine Park
- "Come to Assiniboine Park on Canada Day to celebrate the natural beauty of our country and its people while taking time to reflect on our past and how we can work together to make Canada a better place for all."
- Celebrations at the Park will be held from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m at the Lyric Theatre and the Performance Garden at The Leaf.
- Lyric Theatre: Watch performances by The Small Glories, Sierra Noble, Jeremie and the Delicious Hounds, Fubuki Daiko, African Drumming and Dancing by Drum Café, SPK Iskry, Walking Wolf Dancers & Singers.
- Performance Garden: Catch performances by Raine Hamilton, Winnipeg Steel orchestra Duo, Duo Cochi.
- Sacred Fire and tobacco offerings at the Indigenous Peoples Garden.
- Park n' Ride service available from the CMU campus.
- Full details here.
“Canada Night”: A Homegrown Canadian Rock ‘n’ Roots Retrospective at Blue Note Park
- Join in on July 1 for an electrifying evening of Canada’s top hits, featuring performances by Chris Carmichael, Gabriela Ocejo, Kevin Hogg, Jamie Buckboro, Sarah Maureen, Rob Pachol and many more.
- Tickets available here at $20.
Harvest Time Music Festival/Pecan Harvest Festival at Shaw Park
- Join in on live music at Shaw Park! Tickets available here!
WONTANARA: Circus performance art (340 Provencher Blvd)
- Head to the Centre Culturel Franco-Manitobain for a high-flying event of circus art born from the mind of Guinean Amara Condé. This performance features African dancing and drumming, acrobatics, hoop dancers and tumbling brought together by live music.
- Tickets are $20 and available here.
Central Park Community BBQ (367 Ellice Avenue)
- Hosted by West End Biz, head to a *Free* Community BBQ from 10:45 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., featuring live music, kids’ activities and performances by Ethan Lyric, Mark LeFebvre, Ridley Bent, Fubuki Daiko and Ariya Afrika Cultural Group & Bola Oriyomi.
FIRST Fridays in the Exchange
- Celebrate first Fridays in the Exchange by visiting the lovely Exchange District galleries, artist spaces, shops and cafés with free admission!
“Canada Day Fireworks and Festival” – Assiniboia Downs
- All ages are welcome to watch the fireworks displayed at the Downs by CanFire Pyrotechnics, along with kids’ activities, live bands–including Hawksley Workman!, beer gardens, food trucks and 100+ artisans.
- Tickets are $10 and available here.