Why head south of the border when you can get your Black Friday shopping on here in the Peg?
America, we love you, and we love welcoming your citizens with open arms to Winnipeg, but your malls, shops and electronic stores can be a tad aggressive for our Canadian demeanour on Black Friday (we like a good tussle for a loose puck, but not so much trampling one another for a flat screen).
That being said, check out these tempting deals going down this Friday, November 28, across the city, which will bring big savings to your holiday shopping without worry of bodily harm:
Polo Park is now swankier than it has even been with the addition of some of the world's most stylish and finest retailers. Twenty-three new stores have opened to complement its already established lineup, making this central Canada's largest locale for swish fashions.
In recognition of this, Polo Park is going decidedly highbrow with their post-U.S. Thanksgiving promo, with the oh-so-elegant slogan, "Find outfits you fall for, not fight for." It makes Black Friday seem like a classy affair, doesn't it? Here's the gist:
- Until November 26, if you download the CF SHOP App you'll automatically be entered for a chance to win a $1000 shopping spree complete with a your own personal stylist to help you out. It's almost like getting to star in your very own episode of What Not to Wear!
- Until November 27th you can sign up for a free style consultation in the mall's Centre Court
- On Black Friday itself, Polo Park's in-mall fashion spotters will be giving away SHOP! CARDS to fashionable-looking shoppers (so ladies and gents, leave those sweat pants at home). Its tagline is, "Get lower prices without lowering standards," and Missus Peg approves.
- Polo Park will also have extended hours, opening from 7 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Grant Park Shopping Centre is also getting classy with their sales, but not on Black Friday. Instead, the night before from 5 to 9 p.m., they'll be hosting their Black & White Thursday Night -- "a sophisticated and civilized shopping alternative to Black Friday." This night of shopping will feature entertainment, refreshments, prize draws, and stunning savings throughout the mall.
At St. Vital Centre several stores will be doing Black Friday specials, while the mall itself will have extended hours, opening at 8 a.m. Here are some of the participating stores and sales you can check out:
- From November 28 to 30, at Buffalo David Bitton you can receive exclusive discounts (up to 50 per cebt off!) by registering as a VIP member. As well, when you register (online or at the store) you will be given a secret code which you can use on Black Friday when making your purchases. This code could win you all your purchases (up to $500), a gift card ($50 to $100), or additional discounts. All of these e-coupons will win you something.
- At Call It Spring, over the course of the whole Black Friday weekend, all sale merchandise will be an extra 40% off, while all footwear on Friday is buy one, get the second free until 11 a.m.
Kildonan Place is going to keep us waiting on the details of all the really big sales, so check back to their website or social media accounts on November 27 at 9:30 a.m. for the big announcements. But aside from that, I can tell you that:
- Kildonan Place will be open at 8 a.m.
- The first 100 families at Guest services will receive a $10 KP gift card
- You could win a gift card for $100
Ikea is even getting in on Black Friday with a weekend of sales from November 28-30, featuring buy one, get one free on all soft toys along with individual deals on select furniture.
And while I could keep going with all the upcoming Black Friday deals on individual stores across the malls, I'll save you from having to read a novel by directing you to shopblackfriday.ca, which breaks all the deals down on a store-by-store basis.
Happy shopping people. And remember, keep it civil out there.
Only in The Peg chronicles the adventures of the Peg family–Missus, Mister and Lil’ Peg–as they discover everything there is to see and do in Winnipeg. Follow them on Twitter at @tourismwpg or visit them on Facebook. For even more info on Winnipeg, visit www.tourismwinnipeg.com. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter to stay in the loop on the latest information, contests, and upcoming events!
note: the main image of Polo Park is by Christopher Lawson