Trappist Monastery Provincial Heritage Park
100 rue des ruines du Monastere
Winnipeg, MB R0G 0A1
The Trappist Monastery was established in 1892 by five members of the Trappist Order from the Abbey of Bellefontaine, France. In 1978, the Trappists moved to a site near Holland, Manitoba, to protect their contemplative life from the effects of urban sprawl. Fire gutted the vacated church and residential wing five years later. Information about the Trappist monks and the monastery is on display at the remaining ruins. The former Trappist Monastery Guesthouse, now called The St. Norbert Arts Centre, is home to many resident artists and is located on the grounds.