pin

Upper Fort Garry Gate / Porte d'Upper Fort Garry

Upper Fort Garry Gate

Rebuilt by The Hudson’s Bay Company in 1835, the previous fort had been destroyed in a flood in 1826. With the exception of the Gate, the Fort was demolished in 1881. Buffalo Bill the visited the gateway with members of his touring wild west show in August 1910, demonstrating that the Gate has been a tourist site for over one hundred years. Today, the North Gate is the only original remnant of the fort that has survived. Parts of its wooden walls were restored in the 1980s.


Reconstruit par la Compagnie de la Baie d’Hudson en 1835, le fort précédent ayant été détruit par une inondation en 1826. À l’exception de la porte, le Fort a été démoli en 1881. Buffalo Bill a visité la porte d’entrée du Fort avec les membres de sa troupe du Wild West Show en août 1910, ce qui prouve que la porte est un lieu touristique depuis plus de un siècle. De nos jours, la porte nord est le seul vestige du Fort toujours en place. Ses murs de bois ont été en partie restaurés dans les années 1980.

Return to The Loop / Retour à la Boucle

Sponsored By: