pin

The Bay / La Baie

The Bay

Founded by Royal Charter in 1670, the Hudson’s Bay Company is the oldest trading company in the world. The store’s opening day in Winnipeg in 1926 welcomed 50,000 customers. It took 300 men, 120 teams of horses, 20 trucks and two steam shovels to excavate the basement which goes 45 feet below street level. Placed on the roof of the building was the first of a serial of aerial navigation beacons installed in western Canada. At 200 feet in height, the beacon could be seen up to 100 miles away.


Fondée par une charte royale en 1670, la Compagnie de la Baie d’Hudson est la plus ancienne compagnie de traite dans le monde. Lors de l’ouverture du magasin de Winnipeg en 1926, la compagnie a accueilli 50 000 clients. Il a fallu 300 hommes, 120 attelages de chevaux, 20 camions et deux pelles à vapeur pour faire l’excavation du soussol, qui s’enfonce jusqu’à près de huit mètres sous le niveau de la rue. Sur le toit de l’édifice, on a installé le premier d’une série de phares destinés à la navigation aérienne dans l’Ouest du Canada. À près de 61 m audessus du sol, le phare pouvait être aperçu à plus de 160 km à la ronde.

Return to The Loop / Retour à la Boucle

Sponsored By: