pin

St. Boniface Cathedral / Cathédrale de Saint-Boniface

St. Boniface Cathedral

In 1906, Archbishop Langevin blessed the cornerstone of what became one of the most impressive churches in Western Canada. The first church was built on this site in 1818, it was a log cabin measuring 50 feet by 30 feet. The present Cathedral is the sixth church to have been built on this site. It incorporates the sacristy, façade, and walls of the former basilica. In 1968, just days after the 150th anniversary of St. Boniface Mission, a fire destroyed the fifth church, the Basilica of St. Boniface.


En 1906, Mgr Langevin, archevêque, bénit la pierre angulaire de ce qui deviendrait l’une des églises les plus impressionnantes de l’Ouest canadien. La première église érigée à cet endroit était une cabane en bois rond de 15 mètres par 9 mètres, construite en 1818. L’actuelle cathédrale est la sixième église à avoir été construite à cet endroit. La sacristie, la façade et les murs de l’ancienne basilique y ont été préservés. En 1968, quelques jours après le 150e anniversaire de la mission de Saint-Boniface, un incendie a détruit la cinquième église, la Basilique de Saint-Boniface.

Return to The Loop / Retour à la Boucle

Sponsored By: