pin

Ashdown Store / Magasin Ashdown

Ashdown Store

Opened in 1894 as a large and ready supply goods store and named after James Ashdown, an early Winnipeg pioneer and businessman. He would build an entire chain of hardware stores across Western Canada. To meet the demand of his growing company the warehouse would be expanded four times by 1911. In 1985, it was the first building in the Exchange District to be converted to residential use.


Ouvert en 1894, ce grand magasin général doit son nom à James Ashdown, l’un des premiers pionniers et homme d’affaires réputé de Winnipeg. M. Ashdown a construit toute une chaîne de quincailleries dans tout l’Ouest du Canada. Afin de répondre aux besoins de l’entreprise croissante, il a fallu agrandir l’entrepôt quatre fois jusqu’en 1911. La quincaillerie a été le premier édifice du quartier de la Bourse à être converti en immeuble résidentiel, en 1985.

Return to The Loop / Retour à la Boucle

Sponsored By: