pin

James Avenue Pumping Station / Poste de pompage de l'avenue James

Considered one of the most sophisticated in the world in 1906, drew water from the Red River that was pushed 70 downtown fire hydrants. It utilized its own gird of high-pressure water lines and hydrants, which were separate from the domestic supply. Four large pumps were each capable of delivering 1800 gallons per minute and two smaller pumps each produced an additional 900 gallons per minute. As a result, any hydrant in the district could produce a 600-foot stream of water.


Considéré comme l’un des plus perfectionnés dans le monde en 1906, ce poste pompait l’eau de la rivière Rouge qui alimentait 70 bornes-fontaines. Il était muni de son propre réseau de conduites d’eau haute pression et de bornes-fontaines, distinctes du réseau d’approvisionnement domestique. Quatre grosses pompes pouvaient produire chacune plus de 8 000 litres à la minute et deux pompes de plus petite taille produisaient chacune plus de 4 000 litres supplémentaires à la minute. Résultat : chaque borne-fontaine du district pouvait produire un jet d’eau de plus de 182 mètres.

Return to The Loop / Retour à la Boucle

Sponsored By: