pin

The Forks / La Fourche

The Forks

Located at the junction of the Assiniboine and Red Rivers, Winnipeg’s number one tourist destination with more than four million visitors annually; for over 6,000 years has been a meeting site for Aboriginal groups, European fur traders, Metis buffalo hunters, Scottish settlers, riverboat works, railway pioneers, and tens of thousands of immigrants. Beginning in the late 1800s, the Forks emerged as one of the world’s most important railway yards dominated by the Northern Pacific and Manitoba Railway Company, the Canadian Northern, the Grand Trunk Pacific Railroad, and the Canadian National Railway. Many of the buildings now seen at The Forks were originally built for the railways.


Située au confluent de la rivière Assiniboine et de la rivière Rouge, c’est l’attraction touristique numéro un de Winnipeg avec plus de quatre millions de visiteurs chaque année; pendant plus de 6000 ans, cet endroit a été un lieu de rencontre pour les groupes autochtones, les négociants en fourrures européens, les chasseurs de bisons métis, les colons écossais, les navigateurs en bateaux de rivière, les pionniers du chemin de fer et des milliers d’immigrants. Dès la fin des années 1800, La Fourche est devenue l’une des plus importantes gares de triage, dominée par la Northern Pacific and Manitoba Railway Company, le Canadian Northern, le Grand Trunk Pacific Railroad et la Compagnie des chemins de fer nationaux du Canada. Nombre des bâtiments qu’on voit aujourd’hui à La Fourche ont été construits à l’origine pour les chemins de fer.

Return to The Loop / Retour à la Boucle

Sponsored By: