Free Activities for Spring/Summer
You don't have to break the bank to have fun in Winnipeg. Take advantage of the green spaces, walking trails and free programming.
1. Cheer on your favourite horse when you watch live racing at Assiniboia Downs every Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and select Sundays.
2. Experience interactive and awe-inspiring exhibits at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights for free on the 1st Wednesday of every month from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
3. Learn the story of hydroelectric development in Manitoba from 1870 to today at the Manitoba Electrical Museum & Education Centre, open Monday to Thursday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
4. Admire the breathtaking architecture of the Manitoba Legislative Building on guided tours from July 1 to the Labour Day long weekend in September offered on an hourly basis. Groups of 10 or more require advance tour reservations during the summer season.
5. Half Pints Brewing Co. offers free tours every Saturday at 1:00 p.m. Arrive early because they fill up fast!
6. Each Thursday throughout July and August, round up the family for themed adventures at Living Prairie Museum. Discover some of nature’s neat critters as different ones are explore each week through presentations, games, crafts and time out on the prairie.
8. Young kids can let loose and enjoy the imaginative and creative Variety Heritage Adventure Park, as they splash around in the water park, or climb around on play structures that present the history of The Forks.
9. The Winnipeg Police Museum features displays and artifacts relating to the history of the Winnipeg Police Force dating from its beginning in 1874 to the present.
1. First Fridays is a great way to get to know the Exchange District the 1st Friday of each month, 5-9pm. Enjoy dinner at a great café, talk to artists in their studios, attend Gallery openings and explore the unique shops.
2. Downtown BIZ hosts the Downtown Concert Series every Thursday in June to the end of August. Please check the website for concert listings.
4. When summer festivals such as the Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival and the TD International Winnipeg Jazz Festival are in full swing, head to Old Market Square for free entertainment on The Cube Stage.
5. Listen to the sounds of summer with the Summer Entertainment Series at Assiniboine Park, featuring the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, Ron Paley Big Band, and Walle Larson, amongst others.
6. Watch popular movies al fresco during Movies in the Park at Assiniboine Park (each Friday in August) and Movies on Memorial (Every tuesday in August)
7. Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet puts on spectacular performances for Ballet in the Park at the Lyric Theatre in Assiniboine Park.
8. Canada Day offers a whole host of activities and festivities spread across the city. Osborne Street in Osborne Village is shut down to traffic and filled with vendors. For family fun and fireworks, make your way over to Canad Inns Family Fun Day at Assiniboine Park. The Forks features live entertainment, a public market, arts and crafts for kids and fireworks.
For a complete listing of free events happening in the city, please reference our Upcoming Events page and check off "free events."