Border Regulations

Travelling to Canada

From the United States

The United States Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act requires air travellers to and from the United States, the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama and Mexico have passports or other secure, accepted documents to enter Canada or to re-enter the United States. This policy also applies to Canadians travelling to and from these destinations.

As of June 1, 2009 citizens travelling by land or sea, are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), most commonly a passport, a passport card, a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST, or an enhanced driver's license.

Tourism Winnipeg advises U.S. residents to visit the U.S. Department of State website at for the most up-to-date information.

To determine if you are inadmissible to enter Canada, please visit the Canadian Immigration website.

Visitors from other countries can visit the Canadian Government website for more information or contact the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for their region.
Within Canada, call Citizenship and Immigration Canada at 1.888.242.2100.

From Countries other than the United States

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). 

Exceptions include U.S. citizens and foreign nationals with a valid visa.  

All travellers must present acceptable travel documents and identification must be presented at the border.

For further information, click here or call:

  • Outside Canada: 1.800.992.7037
  • Within Canada: 1.888.242.2100

Returning to the United States

Each person returning to the U.S. from Canada may purchase and declare the following:
$200 goods duty-free, after less than 48 hours. Duty-free products – 50 cigarettes and 10 cigars and 150 milliliters (5 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages or 150 milliliters (5 fl. oz.) of perfume containing alcohol.

$800 goods duty-free, after more than 48 hours. Duty-free products – 1 litre (33.8 oz.) alcohol or 24 cans of beer; 100 cigars, 200 cigarettes or 1 kg (2.2 pounds) of tobacco. Any “reasonable amount” of food and gasoline or oil is permitted.

Goods bought in Canada, but manufactured in the U.S., are duty-free and not included in the basic exemption. Original handmade crafts and works of art are also exempt, however a receipt of purchase may be required. For further information on U.S. customs regulations, please visit or call 905.676.2606.

Bringing Children into Canada

Adults travelling with children should carry identification for each child. Divorced parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents.

Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children. When travelling with a group of vehicles, parents or guardians should be in the same vehicle as the children when arriving at the border. Customs officers are looking for missing children and may ask questions about the children who are travelling with you.


Please have a vaccination certificate with full information on the animal.


Revolvers, pistols and fully automatic firearms are prohibited entry into Canada. Non-restricted firearms (which must be declared) are a regular sporting rifle or a shotgun with a barrel over 470 mm (18.5 in.) with a maximum overall length of 660 mm (26 in.). No automatics or silencers. Firearms less than 660mm need a "permit of transport". Without exception, all firearms must be declared.

Return to Travel Information

E-Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive monthly information on upcoming events, contests, and what's hot!