Tuxedo is Winnipeg’s “oh la la” area. Sprawling mansions, lush greenery and gorgeous character homes are found in this upscale neighbourhood. In the early 1900s Tuxedo was originally conceived as “Tuxedo Park,” an exclusive residential suburb. Visit Manitoba’s wealthiest street, Wellington Crescent, enjoy an excitement filled day at the zoo, shop for designer shoes at My Beautiful Shoes and play a round of mini golf at Tuxedo Golf Course.
Where to Eat
- Surround yourself in beauty at Terrace in the Park, located in the pavilion at Assiniboine Park. The menu showcases regional cuisine and emphasizes the use of locally sourced products like pickerel, grains, bison and lamb. Make reservations for Sunday brunch and enjoy Belgian waffles or German pancakes. 55 Pavilion Crescent, 204-938-7275.
- The Park Café is warm, inviting and a picture perfect place to have a meal with family and friends. Located within Assiniboine Park, next to the revamped dunk pond, this child-friendly café is charming and affordable.
- If you want an up close and personal meeting with polar bears, then The Tundra Grill is sure to chill to the bone. This restaurant offers exclusive views of playing polar bears while you dine. Located within the Assiniboine Park Zoo, 204-927-6000.
- Bust a gut with the help of great food and good laughs at Rumors Comedy Club. Their menu has something for everyone―burgers, chicken wings and steak―and the laughs are non-stop all year long. Comedians from across North America perform here. 190-2025 Corydon Avenue, 204-488-4520.
- Friendly service and heaping portions of mouth-watering, authentic Greek food are hallmarks at Tuxedo Village Family Restaurant. Gyros to lamb chops, chicken souvlaki to Greek salad and thick slices of buttery garlic bread and tangy lemon potatoes are perfectly prepared sides. 2090 Corydon, 204-897-6565.
To Places to Shop
- It’s time to stop and smell the roses at Anne’s Flowers & Gifts. The shop’s extensive line of gifts, fruit baskets, and fresh and silk flower arrangements will prepare you for any special occasion. 150-2025 Corydon Avenue, 204-984-9998.
- Boutique La Femme is a “find the perfect outfit” kinda store, for gals sizes 4 to 22. Owners travel to Montreal and London to find their casual, funky and off-beat garments. 2090 Corydon Avenue, 204-489-1663.
- Colourful clothing and flirty fashions are what you’ll find at Poppie Clothing. Stop in for a new outfit and corresponding accessories. 2-1724 Corydon Avenue, 204-488-7311.
- Attention gentlemen! Find modern mens fashions at Vittorio Rossie Clothiers, an independently-owned and operated fashion boutique specializing in business, business casual, weekend and formal wear for men. 1730 Corydon Avenue, 204-489-1001.
- Pick up the hottest eyewear designs at Four Eyes Optical Boutique, which features fashion-forward specs from labels such as Ed Hardy, Christian Dior, Tom Ford and John Galliano. 2090 Corydon Avenue, 204-889-7408.
- Whether looking for a new piece of sparkling jewellery, a fun kitchen gadget or chic candle set, LoLa Boutique has a well-rounded selection of gifts and treasures to scoop up. 11-2090 Corydon Avenue, 204-896-5652.
- Stylish children’s clothing dress the racks at Toto N’ Dot, which carries classic, funky and ultra-chic kid clothes. Browse tiny pea coats, toddler hipster jeans and more. 112-2025 Corydon Avenue, 204-487-2896.
Top Things to See and Do
- The Rady Jewish Community Centre features 54,000 square feet of fun and fitness. Dive into the pool, get your sweat on at the gym, sign up for fitness classes, or drop in for pilates. B100-123 Doncaster Street, 204-477-7510.
- Assiniboine Park’s beautiful green space features a zoo, duck pond, restaurants, conservatory, new children’s nature playground, trails, fields, English gardens, restaurants, pavilion and stage. Be sure to check out the Qualico Family Centre overlooking the recently expanded duck pond. 55 Pavilion Crescent, 204-927-6000.
- The Assiniboine Park Zoo is undergoing dramatic transformation. Significant renovations, new exhibits, and enhanced facilities appeal to visitors young and old. Come see the zoo’s polar bears at the 10-acre Journey to Churchill exhibit along with a variety of other species. Located within Assiniboine Park, 204-927-6000.
- Catch a show performed by the professional community theatre company Winnipeg Jewish Theatre (WJT), now entering its 29th season. WJT puts on productions that reflect the Jewish experience of the past, present and future. Upcoming productions include Good Intentions, Ivanov, and Shiksa. 123 Doncaster Street, 204-477-7515.
- Work on your swing on the 18-hole course or driving range at Tuxedo Golf Course. Located across from Assiniboine Park, this course also boasts a popular 18-hole mini-golf course. 400 Shaftesbury Boulevard, 204-888-2867.
- With six screened-in courts (four with lights), Tuxedo Tennis Club is a public facility perfect for tennis fiends looking to perfect their game. 370 Southport Boulevard, 204-837-3766.
- The Tuxedo Community Centre has something for everyone! Toddlers can participate in programs like “I can pretend”, older kids can enjoy sports programs including soccer and baseball, and adults and seniors can participate in numerous activities, like lawn bowling and bridge. 368 Southport Boulevard, 204-888-8224.