North & East Kildonan
For a quaint residential neighbourhood on the north side of the city, there’s North & East Kildonan, full of green spaces and a scenic walking path and bike trail. With a variety of family-friendly restaurants, a gorgeous park to explore and shopping to do, it’s easy to feel at home in this neighbourhood.
Where to Eat:
- Everyone loves classic pizzas which The Pizza Oven does great, but where they really shine is their creative specialty pizzas, like the Colossal, full of double orders of multiple meats, or their Pierogi Pie, which serves up the Manitoba staple in pizza form. 1763 Henderson Highway, (204) 949-3000.
- For some Pho, and other Vietnamese delights, head to Watt Street Bistro, where you can get spicy coconut chicken vermicelli soup, right alongside bacon cheeseburgers and onion rings, at large, generous portions, but low prices. 710 Watt Street, (204) 221-9830.
- Empress of China aims to please health-conscious people by providing special gluten-free dishes, not adding MSG and, of course, by offering delicious versions of ginger beef and honey mustard chicken. 1050 Henderson Highway, (204) 334-9700.
- A neighbourhood favourite which many will claim serves the best fried chicken in the city, Candy’s Chicken offers up huge, crispy pieces chicken with homemade fries. 2231 Henderson Highway, (204) 338-7859.
- Sweet Tops’ milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard. And girls too. Also their many flavours of great hard ice cream keep many yards full of happy, content customers. Why they keep hanging out in yards is anyone’s guess, though. 949 Henderson Highway, (204) 668-1062.
Top Places to Shop:
- It doesn’t matter which season it is, Royal Sports has the sports equipment to get you active for it. Get all your sports gear and apparel right here. 650 Raleigh Street, (204) 668-4584.
- Tap your mana and cast the spell that sends you to Galaxy Comics & Collectibles to find the latest in trading card games, like Magic: The Gathering and Pokémon, and play in competitions too. The place is packed with other toys, graphic novels, and board games that will make you feel like a kid again. 209-1109 Henderson Highway, (204) 338-5216.
- When you get to enjoy the spa experience, of facials, body treatments, and massage therapy, you just feel good. And once your body’s been revitalized like that, treat it to some new designer clothes as well! All of that can be done at Spalifestyle & Fashion Boutique, where fashion and relaxation are combined in one friendly place. 2001 Henderson Highway, (204) 661-6111.
- Handcrafted fair-trade gems aplenty at Ten Thousand Villages! Furnish your home with exotic art and home décor, or find unique gifts from all over the world. 10-963 Henderson Highway, (204) 661-5545.
Top Things to See and Do:
- Enjoy the pristine Harbourview Park & Recreation Complex where you can fully enter sports mode, and play some outdoor volleyball, tennis, mini-golf, or try the water-hazard-filled 9-hole golf course. If sports isn’t your thing, relax in the park and grab a bite at the Salisbury House. 1867 Springfield Road, (204) 222-2766.
- Get a team together to knock over some pins at Rossmere Lanes where 5 pin bowling rules the day (until you get there, champ). 1042 Henderson Highway, (204) 334-3627.
- Engage your active side at Bunn’s Creek Centennial Park, where the meandering Bunn’s Creek trail leads you through a tight ravine framed by a shaded, leafy canopy. If you’re looking for a quiet, intimate walk, this is your destination. 365 McIvor Avenue.