ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT WINNIPEG HONOURS BRING IT HOME AMBASSADORS
WINNIPEG, MB - Medical education, downtown revitalization, and supply chain operations were some of the topics brought to Winnipeg in 2016-2017, as part of the Bring It Home initiative.
The Bring It Home program, spearheaded by Economic Development Winnipeg, encourages local businesses and community leaders to advocate Winnipeg as the city of choice for national and international meetings and conventions. In 2016 and 2017, 38 separate events were held in Winnipeg through Bring It Home.
“Bring It Home ambassadors are Winnipeg champions,” said Dayna Spiring, president and CEO of Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. “They are bringing in millions of dollars to local businesses, creating jobs, and leaving a lasting professional development legacy. They also put our city in the spotlight, helping to show professionals from around the globe that Winnipeg is a world-class destination.”
Bring It Home is a targeted initiative, designed to encourage influential leaders, board members and individuals in specialized areas of research to attract meetings and conventions in their fields. Of the 38 meetings and conventions held in 2016 and 2017, three notable hosted events include:
- The Canadian Conference on Medical Education, April-May 2017. This conference welcomed 1,357 medical professionals to Winnipeg from across Canada, thanks to Bring It Home ambassador Dr. Brian Postl.
- The International Downtown Association Annual Conference, September 2017. This global conference invited 656 delegates on tours and discussions about Winnipeg’s downtown, urbanist policies and more, thanks to Bring It Home ambassador Stefano Grande.
- The Supply Chain Management Association of Canada, June 2017. Welcoming 700 delegates from across the country, Bring It Home ambassador Peter Buscemi helped profile Winnipeg’s expertise in supply chain and operations management.
A list of all 38 Bring It Home events, and the ambassadors that helped realize them, are available below.
Since its inception in 2012, the Bring it Home program has been responsible for assisting in the attraction of 115 meetings/conventions to date that will see over 40,000 delegates come to Winnipeg and $58 million in delegate spending. Last year, 25 additional future meetings were confirmed for Winnipeg, representing approximately 9,500 delegates, 16,000 room nights and an approximate direct spend of $10.5 million.
About Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.
Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. (EDW) is the lead economic development agency for Winnipeg. EDW facilitates investment promotion and attraction, capacity building, tourism development and the management of market data. By utilizing competitive intelligence and by fostering relationships with industry leaders, government officials and community stakeholders, EDW evaluates potential opportunities and innovation drivers to develop key industries and define opportunities for future economic growth. EDW also supports targeted sector, community and social development, and promotes Winnipeg’s diverse economy and high quality of life.
For further information, please contact:
Manager, Corporate Communications Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.
2016 and 2017 Bring It Home events and ambassadors
- Zack Gross & Ben Sparrow, Canadian Fair Trade Network National Fair Trade Conference, February 2016
- Kristin Hoebee, Speedpro Annual Conference, February 2016
- Dr. Gerald Brennan, Prairie Annual Pediatric Emergency Medicine Assembly, April 2016
- Glynn Warnica, Canadian Pupil Transportation Conference, April 2016
- Dr. Dan Brown, Therapeutic Applications of Functional Foods Conference, April 2016
- Bev Lotocki, Air Canada Pionairs Annual General Meeting, April 29, 2016
- Amanda Campbell & Joyce Douglas, Canadian Conference on Developmental Disabilities & Autism, May 2016
- Sachit Mehra, Liberal Party of Canada Biennial Convention, May 2016
- Gordon Daman, Appraisal Institute of Canada Annual Conference, June 2016
- Dr. Christopher Storie, Canadian Cartographic Association Carto, June 2016
- Dr. Sheryl Tittlemier, World Mycotoxin Forum and International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry International Symposium, June 2016
- Dr. Lisa Lix, Canadian Society for Epidemiology and Biostatistics Student Conference, June 2016
- Barbara- Anne Hodge, Canadian Burn Survivors Conference, June 2016
- Floyd Martens, Canadian School Boards Association Convention and National Trustee Gathering on Aboriginal Education Program, July 2016
- Reg Klassen, Canadian Association of School System Administrators Annual Conference, July 7, 2016
- Dwight Harfield, World Communication Association North America Conference, August 2, 2016
- Lorrie Pismenny, United Ostomy Association of Canada Inc. National Conference, August 2016
- Dr. Howard Fogel, Practice Limited to Endodontics Annual General Meeting, September 2016
- Dr. Peter Jones, International Plant Sterols/Stanols, health and disease conference, September 2016
- Eva Vida, Rotary International Zones 24 32 Institute, September 2016
- Christa Rust, Canadian Beverage Container Recycling Association Affiliates Meeting, September 2016
- Dr. David Barber, University of Manitoba-Centre for Earth Observation Science Annual Scientific Meeting, December 2016
- Dr. Brian Postl, Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada Conference on Medical Education, April 2017
- Marty Donkervoort, Social Enterprise Council of Canada Conference on Social Enterprise, May 2017
- Dana Homenick, Job’s Daughters International Leadership Conference, May 2017
- Sarah Kelso, Canadian Medical and Biological Engineering Conference, May 2017
- Dr. Hassan Marzban, International Symposium of the Society for Research on the Cerebellum, May 2017
- Yvonne Rideout, International Snowmobile Congress, June 2017
- Peter Buscemi, Supply Chain Management Association of Canada National Conference, June 2017
- Dr. Jennifer Giuffre & Dr. Tom Hayakawa, Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Stefano Grande, International Downtown Association Annual Conference & Trade Show, September 2017
- Tracey Maconachie, Bioscience Association of Manitoba ABIC, September 2017
- Dr. Sylvie Albert, Items International Global Forum, October 2017
- Coreena Stewart, Mennonite Church Canada Special Delegate Assembly, October 2017
- Lori Binder, Jim Keefe & Joanne Kamins, Canadian Accredited Independent Schools Heads and Board Chairs Conference, October 2017
- Jonathan Strauss, Entomological Society of Canada Joint Meeting, October 2017
- Louis Sorin, Canadian Conference On Ending Homelessness, October 2017
- Stephanie Jeffrey, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology Annual Conference, October 2017