The Tourism Winnipeg team of Economic Development Winnipeg is the city’s official destination marketing organization and leads all efforts to attract visitors, special events, sports, meetings and conventions to Winnipeg and provide residents and visitors the best possible experience. Our team is closely monitoring the impact of COVID-19. We are following set out by public health officials, along with City of Winnipeg, Government of Manitoba and Government of Canada. Tourism Winnipeg is in close contact with Travel Manitoba, Destination Canada and other key industry stakeholders to give you the most relevant information on a rapidly-changing situation.
For questions about COVID-19 and the Tourism Industry please contact Brittany Cawson
Resources for Tourism Stakeholders
Government of Canada
- Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC)
- Hotel Association of Canada
- Destination Canada
- Restaurants Canada
- Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada
- Business Development Bank of Canada
- Canadian Federation of Independent Business
- Travel Manitoba
- World Tourism Organization
- Destinations International
- Manitoba Hotel Association
- Manitoba Tourism Education Council
- Centres for Disease Control and Prevention
- Resources to help your small business manage through uncertainty
- Tourism HR Canada - Coronavirus Resource Hub
includes information on benefits & programs available for businesses
- Cision - COVID-19 Toolkit
- Manitoba Tourism Education Council - Clean it Right Certification (free-of-charge)
- Retail Council of Canada - Retail perspective on re-opening that includes various best practices and protocols
- Hotel Association of Canada - Reopening resources
- How to practice responsible tourism during COVID-19
Support for Businesses
Federal, Provincial, & Financial Program Navigation
Western Economic Diversification Canada
Open for applications: Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF)
Businesses in Western Canada, including in the tourism sector, that are unable to access other existing measures can now apply for RRRF support through Western Economic Diversification Canada. WD will work with key partners, like the Community Futures Network of Canada‘s offices across the region to help western Canadian businesses get through these difficult times.
The Fund will help to:
- mitigate the financial pressure experienced by businesses and organizations to allow them to continue their operations, including paying their employees;
- support projects by businesses, organizations and communities to prepare now for a successful recovery.
If your small- or medium-sized business or organization has received WD funding and COVID-19 is affecting your operations, you may be eligible to receive additional funding and/or flexible arrangements. Please contact your local WD office if:
- Your business is in the repayment phase of your project.
- You submitted a project application that has not been evaluated.
- You received a contribution from WD, but are concerned about not being able to meet your obligations.
- You received a contribution related to a now-cancelled trade mission, and have already incurred costs.
- You received a contribution for an event that has had to be postponed or cancelled.
Please note that if your business is in the repayment phase of your project:
- Your project repayments will be deferred effective April 1, 2020.
- They will remain in effect until July 1, 2020.
- Related interest charges will also be deferred.
- This is a deferral, not a forgiveness.
- WD will work with you to formalize these deferrals into an amended repayment schedule.
Western Economic Diversification Canada
TIAC Online Campaign Tool
TIAC has been constantly engaged with the Government of Canada to push for immediate industry-specific support. This includes a joint-letter to Finance Minister Bill Morneau with partner associations Restaurants Canada and the Hotel Association of Canada.
We encourage all members of the tourism sector to take action by sending a letter to their local MP at our quick and easy online campaign tool
Upcoming Webinars & Facebook Live Events
Tourism Winnipeg & Travel Manitoba: Road to Recovery
A joint webinar between Travel Manitoba and Tourism Winnipeg addressing the road to recovery for the Manitoba tourism industry in the aftermath of COVID-19.
TIAC & Travel Manitoba: Tourism Town Hall
TIAC’s Tourism Town Hall series is an event partnership between the Tourism Industry Association of Canada, Destination Canada, and the local host partners. Our virtual Tourism Town Halls will provide an opportunity to engage small and medium-sized business owner-operators across Canada to share information, government policy work, and available COVID recovery tools with our stakeholders. Town Halls will allow owner-operators to provide first-hand input on issues they are facing and hear from the leading tourism organization on the efforts being made to support tourism.
Past Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) Webinars
Past Destinations International Webinars
Past Destination Canada Webinars
Downtown Winnipeg Biz: Business Continuity and Crisis Recovery
The COVID-19 pandemic is creating an incredibly challenging time for our downtown business community. Business owners are under tremendous strain. We understand that cash, clarity and business continuity are top of mind.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will the federal government compensate small tourism businesses for their cancellations?
Key industry partners are working around the clock to get more relief for small businesses. We hope to have more details soon.
Where can I find additional COVID-19 resources for businesses?
Economic Development Winnipeg COVID-19 Government Program toolkit
Do you have a question we haven’t answered?
Please complete the Help Us Help You form on EDW COVID-19 Government Programs