Boho and artsy meet kitsch and cool in the community of Osborne Village, recently named Canada's Best Neighbourhood in the anual Great Places in Canada contest by the Canadian Institute for Planners. Emerging and established artists, dance studios and music venues contribute to Osborne’s creative vibe. Early 1900s architecture stands alongside modern high rises in Winnipeg’s most densely populated neighbourhood, housing a mix of young and old, hip and urban. “The Village” is home to more than 175 unique shops, restaurants and businesses. Here, you’ll find everything from specialty cookware, unique jewellery and clothing by local designers to restaurants serving up regional cuisine and ethnic delights.
Location: The approximate boundaries are confusion corner (where Osborne, Corydon and Pembina Highway meet), Wellington Cres and Gertrude St, the Osborne Bridge and Donald St up to the Donald St bridge. Located 3 km from downtown and 9.9 km from the airport.
How to get there: From the airport, turn onto Wellington Ave. Turn right onto King Edward St (Route 90). Stay left, head toward the bridge and on the right take the ramp to Portage Ave. Turn left to go east on Portage Ave. After 3 km, turn right on Broadway. After 1 km turn right on Osborne. Cross the bridge to enter “The Village.”
Bus routes: 16, 18, 37, 39, 58, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 68, 70, 80, 81
Top Places to Eat
- Black and white checkerboard flooring and red chairs give Osborne hot spot Baked Expectations a fun, retro feel. Baked’s diner comfort foods and scrumptious desserts from cheesecake to pavolova have been wooing Winnipeggers for more than 25 years. 161 Osborne St, 452-5176. http://www.bakedexpectations.ca/
- Explore the exciting tastes of Oz at Billabong Bar & Bistro. Alligator, barramundi and kangaroo are some of the adventurous ingredients on the menu. D-121 Osborne St, 452-1019. http://www.billabongbarandbistro.com
- At Fude Inspired Cuisine and Wine Bar, Manitoba ingredients are highlighted throughout the sophisticated menu. Bold flavours leap out of each dish, including fall-off-the-bone bison ribs and chili chocolate chicken, a cult favourite. 303-99 Osborne St, 284-3833. http://www.fude.ca
- If you’ve never tried a Japanese-style crepe, a visit to Kawaii Crepe is a must. These crispy crêpes are wrapped up in a cone shape and stuffed with sweet or savoury fillings. Kick back with a bubble tea served in this bright, modern space. 201-99 Osborne St, 415-2833. http://kawaiicrepe.ca
- The well-spiced lentil and meat stews at Ethiopian eatery Massawa are lovingly prepared, and the tasty results are well worth the wait. 121 Osborne St, 284-3194.
- Stylish urbanites meet up at Meiji Sushi and G. Martini Lounge for picture-perfect rolls and creative martinis all under one roof. 454 River Ave, 284-3996. http://meijisushi.ca/
- As the city’s only eatery devoted strictly to tapas, Segovia has received plenty of buzz for its flavourful Spanish-influenced cooking. The cinnamon-dusted churros dunked in melted orange-flavoured chocolate are heavenly. 484 Stradbrook St, 477-6500. http://www.segoviatapasbar.com
Top Places to Shop
- The Closet is a clothing treasure trove of men’s and women’s pre-loved garments from vintage to contemporary fashions. 470 River Ave, 233-2442.
- David Rice Jewelry + Objects showcases the work of the award-winning Winnipeg designer. He creates striking pieces in silver, gold and precious stones that will take your breath away. 100 Osborne St, 453-6105. http://www.davidrice.com/
- Find a special gift for everyone on your list at Desart, which has been in business since 1968. Lines carried include Trollbeads jewellery, LUG accessories, Gourmet du Village and Espe wallets. 117 Osborne Village, 284-0823.
- Wannabe home chefs can find the latest cooking tools, gadgets, servingware and high-end cookware at The Happy Cooker. 464 Stradbrook Ave, 453-2665. http://thehappycooker.ca/
- Affordable fashions geared toward young style mavens dress the racks of Hush. Shoes, jewellery, purses, cocktail dresses and casual wear reflect the latest trends. 203-99 Osborne St, 474-1208. http://www.hushclothing.ca
- Pick up an original piece of art by Manitoba artists at co-operative Medea Gallery. Two floors feature regular exhibitions and display works by 17 member artists. 132 Osborne St, 453-1115. http://www.medeagallery.ca/
- Accessory hounds flock to Rooster for fashion-forward boots, heels, flats, sandals and bags from names like Kenneth Cole, CYDWOQ and Matt & Nat. 452 River Ave, 219-7008. http://silverlotus.tng-secure.com
- Vita Health Fresh Market is one of five market locations in the city, offering health supplements, organic grocery, natural beauty products, bulk food, bakery and take-away dishes. 1-166 Osborne St, 984-9551. http://www.vitahealthstores.ca
- The showroom inside family-owned business Watson Jewellers sparkles with dazzling fine jewellery. Repairs, custom design and manufacturing are handled in the on-site factory. Unit – C, 236 Osborne St S, 956-2096. http://rogerwatsonjewellers.com/
Top Things to See and Do
- All are welcome to drop in on Fridays for Friday Night Dance Hall at Nafro Dance Studio. No need to bring a partner—The Winnipeg Dance Collective hosts two introductory dance classes followed by social dancing until 1 am. 109 Pulford St. http://www.winnipegdancecoop.org/Winnipeg_Dance_Cooperative_Website/Friday_Night_Dance_Hall.html
- Professional theatre and dance companies, the Winnipeg Comedy Festival and community-based organizations light up the stage at Gas Station Theatre. Catch a play, fashion show, music concert, lecture, film or video presentation and more at this intimate theatre. 445 River Ave, 284-9477. http://www.gsac.ca/
- Shutting down Osborne from River Ave to McMillan Ave, the annual Osborne Village Canada Day Street Celebration takes on a market atmosphere when food vendors, artists, shops and musicians abound. http://www.osbornevillage.com/
- People spill in and out of popular pub Toad in the Hole and live music venue The Cavern late into the night. Watch new, local talent perform in the downstairs Cavern, or catch up with friends over a pint at the Toad. 112 Osborne St, 284-7201.
- Live performances from rock bands to electronic music DJs entertain crowds at The Zoo & Ozzy’s, located in the Osborne Village Inn. 160 Osborne St, 452-9824.