North & East Kildonan
Historically, the residential neighbourhoods of North and East Kildonan were part of the Parish of Kildonan, which formed part of the Red River Settlement. In 1914, the Parish was separated into East and West Kildonan, with the Red River acting as the boundary. Today the two residential neighbourhoods are home to a variety of family-friendly restaurants and commerce. Popular outdoor activities in the area include hiking along the scenic Bunn’s Creek Trail and playing sports at Harbourview Golf Course & Rec Complex.
Location: The approximate boundaries of North Kildonan are the Red River to the west; Cox Boulevard to the east; Glenway Avenue and Knowles Avenue to the north; and Springfield Road, McCleod Avenue and Leighton Avenue to the south. The approximate boundaries of East Kildonan are Lagimodiere to the east; McCleod Avenue and Leighton Avenue to the north; the Red River and Henderson Highway to the west; and Misson Street and the Red River to the south.
Located approximately 3.4 km from downtown and 13 km from the airport.
How to get there: From the airport, head southeast on Wellington Avenue toward Administration Street. Turn left onto Century Street (Rte 90) and then turn right onto Dublin Avenue, which becomes Notre Dame Avenue. Turn left onto Arlington Street and then right at Burrows Avenue. Turn left onto Main Street. Take the third right onto Redwood Avenue. Turn left onto Henderson Highway and continue north into East and North Kildonan.
Bus routes: # 11, 20, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 77, 85, 90
Top Places to Eat
• A late night pick-me-up or early morning eye opener is on the menu at Mountain Bean Coffee Co. Enjoy comfy couches, a mood-setting fireplace and hot or cold caffeine infused indulgences. 2001 Henderson Highway, Unit 5, 204-334-6959.
• Candy’s Chicken is back and it’s better than ever. Say hello to crispy pieces of fried chicken, homemade fries and tangy coleslaw. 2231 Henderson Highway, 204-338-7859.
• Sweet Tops offers more than 30 choices of ice cream to dig in to. 949 Henderson Highway, 204-668-1062.
• Hearty sandwiches and tasty soups dominate the menu at Grace Café. Among the faves is a turkey sandwich on fresh-baked bread, stuffed with sliced cucumber and a side of M&M Mocha Latte, covered in whipped cream. 2207 Henderson Highway, 204-338-2229.
• Whipped cream, fruit, cake—The Bake Oven is known for sweet nothings, including cream pastries, cookies, cinnamon buns, muffins and more. 300 Edison Avenue, 866-338-0663.
• A neighbourhood favourite, locals adore Empress of China for its well-executed Chinese dishes, especially the robust ginger beef. Many gluten-free options are offered. 1050 Henderson Highway, 204-334-9700.
• For a zesty flavour fiesta, chow down on sizzling fajitas fresh off the grill, cheesy quesadillas and traditional pork and cheese at JC’s Tacos & More. The interior’s bright, vibrant colours and bustling atmosphere creates a fun, playful vibe. 187 Henderson Highway, 204-414-9187.
• The hunt to find Jessie’s Kitchen in its high-rise apartment location is worth the effort for hearty Ukrainian cuisine. Stuff yourself with homestyle crimson borshct, puffy potato and sauerkraut perogies and savoury potato pancakes. 60 Whellams Lane, 204-661-3332.
• Mom-and-pop eatery White Rock Cafe sticks to simple comfort food and it works. Expect tasty house-made pies, milkshakes, burgers, fries and breakfast classics. 725 Gateway Road, 204-663-2500.
Top Places to Shop
• River City Sports boasts one of North America’s largest selections of hockey merchandise, including coveted Winnipeg Jets gear. Customize your favourite team’s jersey or browse through thousands of products representing leagues around the world. 1074 Henderson Highway, 204-338-7455.
• Royal Sports caters to the sports fanatic with a wide selection of hockey, baseball, volleyball, running and basketball equipment and fitness wear. 650 Raleigh Street, 204-668-4584.
• Part clothing store, part beauty centre, Spalifestyle Fashion Boutique combines the best of both worlds. After indulging in a massage, shop for on-trend women’s apparel and accessories from more than 40 lines in the store. 2001 Henderson Highway, 204-661-6111.
• From unique crafts to stunning art to exotic home furnishings, there are hundreds of fair-trade, handcrafted gems from around the world inside Ten Thousand Villages. 10-963 Henderson Highway, 204-661-5545.
• Look in one of more than 30,000 titles at Flipped Pages Book Exchange. Go here to buy or trade your gently used books, puzzles and games. 396 Edison Avenue, 204-338-0647.
Top Things to See and Do
• On the banks of a manmade lake sits Harbour View Golf Course and Recreation Complex. Visitors also enjoy tennis, mini-golf, horseshoes and lawn bowling in warmer months, cross country skiing, tobogganing and skating when the snow flies. 1867 Springfield Road, 204-222-2766.
• Shine your shoes and get ready to avoid the gutters at Rossmere Lanes, one of the oldest bowling alleys in Winnipeg. Stop in for a spirited game. 1042 Henderson Highway, 204-334-3627.
• The three-kilometre walk along Bunn’s Creek Trail leads to the forks of Bunn’s Creek and the Red River. Watch for songbirds, waterfowl and turtles that call this Trans Canada trail home. 365 McIvor Avenue.